Sunday, July 3, 2016

Writing

I have done this before. I have sat down in front of my computer and told myself that I was going to spend more time writing. I have promised myself that I would practice my craft and continue to attempt to improve. Time and time again I have lied to myself. 

I don't know what has kept me from sitting down and giving this an honest attempt. I have claimed I was too busy, have convinced myself that I wasn't a good writer, I have complained that I didn't know what to write about. If I'm being really honest with myself about it, the thing that has probably kept me from giving writing a more honest effort is it's scary, and I'm lazy.  There is no instant ROI for writing in this blog. I don't know if I have anything to say that's worth reading. Maybe I really am not a great, or even a good writer. There are a thousand reasons, good ones and bad ones, not to do something. And I have fallen into each and every one of them. 

The real truth that I've been hiding from is that there is no way to answer any of those questions without effort. There is no way to know if I have any talent as a writer unless I write. There is no way to improve without practice. There is no way to know if I have anything to say unless I attempt to say something. I have a unique opportunity right now that provides the time and flexibility to explore my passions in life and it's high time I start to make the most of it. 

So, here is my new goal: I am going to write a blog post every day for a month. 30 straight days of taking the time and energy to sit down and write something. That's it. That's the only rule. I have interests all over the place so my topics will be all over the place. 

And I know that most of my posts have been about me and my personal life. In essence, they have all used the word "I" far too often. And this post is no exception. I have mostly used this blog as a catharsis for me, which can get very tedious to anyone who reads it. I don't plan on continuing that theme as my only form of writing. I'm sure it will happen again but I want to try to expand a little bit and try my hand and multiple different styles of writing. 

There is something about the power of the written word that has always enthralled me. There is nothing you can't do with words. Without words there could be no thought. I want to explore my abilities to wield that sword. 

I'm sure that most of the things that I will post will be utter nonsense. For that, I will apologize ahead of time. I'm sorry, and now you've been warned.  I'm just hoping that occasionally there will be a little nugget of thought, truth, imagery, or passion that will be worth holding onto, even if only for a minute. 

For those of you who have read my blog in the past, thank you. For those of you who will continue to read my blog in the future, thank you more. Let's see how this goes....




No comments:

Post a Comment